Tuesday, September 4, 2012

No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden by Mark Owen (pseudonym)



“I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions.”

I had mixed feelings about purchasing and reading this book. I saw ‘Mark’ interviewed, but I wanted to see why a Seal would write a book about a Seal mission. I thought there was a code among the Seals, so I googled and found this sentence included in the Seals code: “I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions.” My concern was about a Seal writing about a Seal mission. 

But . . . I admit I was curious, and there is nothing better than reading a first-hand account of any event. I have always respected the Seals for what they do. These men are exceptional American heroes, and I am glad they are working for me every day. Like the title states, Seals have No Easy Day. Therefore, I didn’t see the necessity to humanize the Seals in the way ‘Mark’ did. There was no reason to share their senseless pranks in a book such as this.

‘Mark’ also states this isn’t a political book. Yet, he mentions more than once about the Washington machine (his words) being slow in the decision-making, and how the military doesn’t have all they need. He comments on American tax dollars paying for a nice paved road, that isn’t in America.

‘Mark’ describes how he became a Seal; this degraded the Seals high standards, because he makes it sound like he barely made it. I don’t understand why he included this detailed information.

After reading, No Easy Day, I’m still not sure why ‘Mark’ wrote this book. I hope there’s nothing more sinister behind it except the monetary gain. No one wants to see repercussions for any of the Seals and their families.

The book was well written, and I did learn a few things from reading, No Easy Day:
1
        Seals should not get married. If the job comes before family,
        they shouldn’t have a family.
2
               I wasn’t aware how much the Seals dislike President Obama.
3
               Osama Bin Laden was more of a coward than I originally thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment